While you can always find the perfect office chair for your use, adjustments are crucial. People sit for long hours in an office chair, so height adjustment is a key factor in enhancing comfort. Modern chairs come with a level to adjust the height. However, many older office chairs still come without a lever. Adjusting an office chair without a lever is different. In this article, we will discuss some easy steps to allow you to adjust your office chair.
Find the Correct Height for My Chair
Before you proceed to adjust the height of the chair, the first task is to check what is the best height. The best height differs for each person. It also differs because of office settings, table height, etc. So, you must find the best height for you.
- Adjust according to your table setting. Set it higher if the keyboard and other stuff are far on the table. Desks height also impacts your best height.
- When you sit on the chair, your feet should be square against the floor. The thighs should be horizontal, while the legs’ angle should be 90 degrees.
- When you find the best height, mark it, and stand. Now, we will adjust the height.
Clockwise and Anticlockwise Movement
Most chairs that don’t come with a lever may offer these types of clock movements. In addition, you can move your chair in any direction to adjust its height.
- The first thing to do is to stand up from your chair. We know that we can adjust the height of chairs with levers even during sitting. However, when adjusting the height of older chairs, you must stand up first.
- Now you must turn your chair manually in each direction. In clock movement and anticlockwise, your chair will start to move up and down. Note which side is turning to increase the height, and keep turning until you reach the best height.
- Once you adjust the chair, sit on it to check your posture. If you get the right comfort level, then congrats. If you see some unrest, it is better to readjust.
- Repeat the same steps in point two until you get the best position. Sit down on the chair to check your new position to confirm.
Under-Chair Bolt Movement
Under the chair, bolt movements are the second common type of adjustment in chairs without levers. In these chairs, you can see a bolt located at the bottom of the chair. You must again stand up from your chair to adjust it. Once you stand up from your chair, you must follow these simple steps to adjust the height.
- You know the right position, so stand up and adjust the bolt under your chair. Turning the bolt will up or down the chair height. Check the movement and stop when you get the right height.
- Sit on the chair to check if you got the best position. If the position is comforting, then congrats on the best position. However, if you need further changing, stand up from your position to manage it better.
- Repeat step 1 as long as you get your required height. Once you get the best position, sit on the chair, and confirm if you are ok.
Back Height Movement
Many chairs will allow you to change the back of the chair and your chair arms. However, adjusting the arms is also crucial to get the best chair sitting position. So, you must check if your chair has limited or full options to adjust the back and arms.
Some chairs’ backrests allow you front and back movements while others allow you up and down. You can even adjust the recline of your chair in some models. So, the main idea is similar here too.
Adjusting the arms and back height further adds to the comfort. Based on your options, keep the parts turning until you get the best position. Check your comfort by sitting on your chair and managing it.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
The best posture will allow you to sit on a chair for long hours. So, we recommend you adjust your chair’s height to the most comfortable position.